Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas Candy

In the United States, the Christmas season has become synonymous with candy-making.  My mom always made fudge and divinity, cookies and cakes, so we had many desserts to share when friends and family came to visit.  Fortunately, my sister also makes the best candy.   She has inherited Mom’s skill at candy-making in all sorts of inclement weather.  It’s been drizzly here, which is usually not the best time to make divinity – too much humidity in the air.  I asked her if she makes adjustments for the wet weather.  Her answer, “nope, I just make it anyway.”  She does it beautifully, as you can see below.

divinity

 

This year, she has made fudge, divinity, an Oreo-cream cheese mixture (Yum!), pralines (pronounced “praw-lines” here), and a various assortment of other candies to give to people.  We are blessed to have tasty pecans here in the South, and we use them liberally in our Christmas goodies. 

So to everyone out there, I say,

Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

Lois H. said...

Oooh, divinity! Your picture makes me hungry for it and I thought I had OD'ed on the sweets this year already. I remember making it as a girl with my grandmother. We had to watch the weather forecast to be sure it was a good day. :-)
Your post brought back memories. Thanks for sharing!